Add-ons are a powerful tool that lets you create any type of drop down menu for customers to select during checkout. These can be priced items or simple questions to obtain information. The below is just one example of a Bike Rental merchant selling hoodies on the shopping cart page.
Some common uses for add-ons include:
- Pick up/drop off locations
- Merchandise such as apparel, gear, accessories
- 'How did you hear about us?' menu
- Additional fees (optional or required) - insurance, pet fee, etc.
- Meal options such as lunch baskets
- Yes/No questions such as "Have you been to Boston before?"
- Any many more....
To create add-ons, go to the Gear icon in the upper right-hand side and then Add-Ons. Select to create a new add-on.
Add a Name and some text describing the add-on.
Add-On Type is used to configure if this item can be associated with a specific product (like activity or rental) or is available in the shopping cart.
- Add-on can only be associated with a specific activity or rental. It appears like this in the checkout process:
- Global Add-on can be purchased at the shopping cart stage and also on the merchant booking form. They look like this:
Global add-ons must specify the following detail:
- Tax Rate applies the configured tax to the add-on price.
- Site Visibility specifies office only add-ons which can only be assigned through the merchant booking form and are not visible to customers during the express checkout.
- Email Visibility toggles if add ons are visible in the confirmation email. This can be used if add-ons are being used as $0 items such as questions and would make the confirmation email cluttered.
Pricing Visibility lets you customize if you want to show "$" or not:
For priced items, If 'Add on' is selected (to be used for specific activities or rentals), the following pricing setup must also be configured:
Pricing Setup sets how the add-on price is calculated.
- Per Product associates an add-on for a specific rental or activity such as a renting a GoPro. Ex: $50 GoPro is applied to the booking.
- Per Person associates an add-on for each person booking such as a meal package. Ex: $15 meal * 4 people = $60 added to booking.
- Per Unit associates an add on for each rental unit such as a Helmet or paddle. $5 paddles * 3 kayaks = $15 added to booking.
Time Basis allows you to set how the price is calculated over a period of time.
For Example: A helmet add-on for a 2 hour bike rental at a priced at $40 can be calculated the following ways:
- $40/day: $40 * 1 day (since 2 hours < 1 day) = $40
- $40/hour: $40 * 2 hours = $80
- $40/minute: $40 * 60 minutes * 2 hours = $4,800 (obviously unrealistic but displayed to demonstrate the math)
Options let you specific which options the user can select from. You can also select the default option the customer will have selected, when they are going through the checkout flow.
Examples might include:
- Helmet: Small, Medium, Large
- Tshirt: Kids, Adult
- Meal Package: Fish, Meat, Vegetarian
- How you heard about us: Google, Yelp, A Friend
You can also choose how the add-ons are displayed as you might want some add-ons to be priced and others with no price.
Once you've created add-ons, you need to assign them to an activity or rental. Click here to learn how to do that.